Skip to main content

First Sunday and Travels


Jenelle and Chris took us to Pastor Wonder's church for our first service as they wanted to EASE us into African culture and not scare us out of our skin, before we had a chance to re-adjust.
It was beautiful and really neat to see their hearts of worship and passion of love for Jesus - their simple faith. Most Pastors in Africa don't have any prior teaching of the context or doctrines of the Bible - so they preach like they've only heard before (on TV) which is where the bad reputations come from. So nice to see that they're not all like this! All the people were very welcoming and Ps. Wonder was very excited that his preaching had gone international!
It's very humbling being in such a setting where you're surrounding by those who have so little, yet they are giving everything they have (their hearts) in worship to Jesus.
The view from Jenelle's door - had quite a few walks down these paths with many chats to tie us over until the next time!
Mangoes, Lichies, Advocados, and Chris' cooking are the things I will miss most about the food over on this foreign continent.
We drove up through the mountains to Hawane Farm close to Mbabane where Chris spent the first 3 years of his time in Africa before Jenelle and he got married. We went into this little grocery store.... ok wait I need to clarify this.
It was a little mud shack that was painted a bright yellow with a thatched grass roof you walked in and there was NO electricity and floors were dirt! There were shelves lining the wall filled (if you can call it that) with chips, bread, sweets, and warm sodas! Maybe a few difference sauces!
It had been 10years since Chris has been back here - so he was asking if there were still any of the people he knew really well. They only recognized a few names and as we were leaving Chris told them to say "Hi, from Chris" - they burst out in laughter then in unison "CHHHHRISSSY!" Was so neat to see Chris in his own element!
WORLDS LARGEST EXPOSED GRANITE ROCK 
Rock Sibebe
(arguably)
We drove around a bit more and saw the difference architecture of the buildings (or the lack of it). The way some people think it's ok to build a house - I tell you. It's not because a lack of money, but a lack of training or practical common sense!
Some of the houses had some really creative elements - I will give them that, but structure wise - I don't want to be around when a storm comes!
Oh, and the churches! It seemed like the most eccentric design would win the award of the year and draw the most population through it's doors!  
The evidence this part of Africa is going through a pretty severe drought where many of the cities have their population under water restrictions. Something we DON'T understand back here!
The trip to Belembu was pretty uneventful other than the millions of pines we passed, which I loved because there was such a lack of the Christmas Spirit. No one decorates and hardly any stores play Christmas music - they say it's strange with no snow!
Belembu
A small yet once booming mining town where the Europeans took advantage of the native people to this land. A lot of sad history right here in this town. They are now trying to restore it and bring it back to it's former glory - hopefully putting it back on the map!
The Hydrangeas were in their late bloom, but I still had to take a picture! The streets of Belembu were lined with these beautiful plants! As much of Africa - all of the exotic plants we pay an arm and a leg for here, just grow beautifully on the side of the road
Bird of Paradise  was another one of my favorites to see and just take in its natural beauty!

The border crossing exiting Swaziland here is as old as the hills (maybe there' a slight pun intended)
They have a BOOK of entry/exit that they WRITE with a ballpoint PEN the numbers of people's passports and names! This just made me laugh!
"The hills are alive with the sound of music" were the lyrics that were running through my head as my brain caught up to the beauty that was entering through my ocular cavities! *insert smiley here*
How can we behold such incredible design without acknowledging the existence of something far greater taking the time and thinking to place this all into motion!
MANY MORE SCENERY SHOTS TO COME!!!
Between the Sheets
I had to laugh when I saw the name of this guest house. And literally all the names they choose to use for different businesses or shops...are seemingly something they were sitting there and the looked and saw an object and called it as such!
Ok past all that... This was such a lovely quaint place with a cute waterhole (pool) located in Nelspruit!
Stone Oven Pizza - one of the many amazing ones we had the pleasure of devouring!
So thankful I kept a detailed journal of all the happenings and events of this trip!
The drive to Graskop - beautiful, but sad we couldn't see more of it for the fog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Postings Coming

Dear Followers, I apologize for not writing on the happenings in the last few months! Many new opportunities, many ups and downs, but through it all - there is so much to learn, and hopefully in the process He's making us into stronger people, becoming more and more like Him! December was filled with lots of different Christmas happenings, get together's, music opportunities, visitations, baking, eating of yummy food, and spending time with family!  I maybe took 3 or 4 pictures - not much to show, but will be bringing more pictures of the upcoming months!  New Years - I was sick again, so I was home alone, while everyone went else where to ring in the New Year! A good time to reflect on the happenings, excitement, disappointments, blessings, and most of all His faithfulness! A lot to remember, be thankful for, but 2013 is past, and although it brought much joy and some of the happiest most fulfilled moments, times - this is 2014 and I'm excited to see what He w

I Am Your Shield

This is a song that has been a great encouragement to me and so I wanted to share it with all of you, hoping that it will minister to you and encourage you on... even during the dark times! May He give you the treasures of darkness and hidden riches of those secret places!  I Am Your Shield Rachel Wissman My child are you discouraged  By the sorrows of the day Does it seem like life is crumbing The skies have turned to grey Don’t forget I gave you promises to guide you every hour In the moment of your heartbreak Let me show you my great power   And I will be your shield When the battle rages on And I will be your light when the way ahead is dark I will be your strong tower And guide you every hour Just place your life completely in my hand I know it won’t be easy I never said it would But my grace will always be there My plans for you are good Remember that your weaknesses are perfect in my sight Only when you yield them to me can I turn

Christmas Preparations & Finishing up Second Semester

2017 seemed to be a year full of new adventures and "firsts"! I hadn't been home for all the hustle and bustle of Christmas for 5 years and boy did I ever miss it! Starbucks and studying for finals filled my December Experiencing and practicing out skills out in the "field" - preparing us for our final practical Something I've really missed doing - hanging the Christmas lights out at the farm! This year Ben helped James and I - a great night filled with music, laughter, and cookies (thanks Jo-Jo)  "Festival of Lights" - OWEN SOUND  It was a very wet/rainy night, but it was PERFECT! Ben and I had so much fun walking around Owen Sound talking, laughing, and experiencing the beginning of many new Christmas things together! The firework display was incredible, just in case anyone is thinking of checking it out next year - GO!!! They also did a great job at displaying many different set ups of Christmas lights!  Oh, and what better